This is a recipe that I am going to commit to memory. It’s that good and that simple! One of my kids has been inhaling blueberries these last couple of weeks, to the point where I just can’t buy enough of them. However, this week either she slowed down eating them or I bought too many because I found myself with a couple extra packs and somewhat unsure what to do with them. For a while I contemplated blueberry scones — my very very favorite blueberry scones, but that requires dusting the countertop with flour, using super cold butter, etc… etc… and to be frank: too big of a mess; too much of a hassle.
I’ve been pouring over the recipes in Deb Perelman’s book Smitten Kitchen Every Day since I got it around Christmas time and when I turned to these muffins yesterday I knew I had to make them ASAP! No fussy ingredients, one bowl, add the ingredients, mix it up, bake, enjoy… and easy clean up! To be honest, no one likes doing dishes. Especially on a weekend morning. So do yourself a favor and whip these up — you’ll be so happy you did!
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 c. granulated sugar
finely grated zest from half a lemon (I zested a whole, you should too)
3/4 c. sour cream
1 large egg, room temperature
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. fresh blueberries
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 375. Line a muffin tin with 9 liners, or do as I do, and butter the muffin tin and then dust with flour, the good old fashion way.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt the butter – about a minute and a half in the microwave.
- Add the sugar, lemon zest, sour cream, egg and whisk until smooth.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour and blueberries. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour and blueberries to the batter.
- The batter will be thick and smell delicious. Go ahead, taste a little 😉 Divide the dough into the 9 prepared muffin cups and sprinkle a generous amount of turbinado sugar on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then let cook for 10 minutes and enjoy!!