Guess what? I had never made rice krispie treats before. Lame, right? They’re so easy and a huge crowd pleaser. I’ve been considering signing up my oldest for soccer, and can’t help but reminisce about my own soccer days. Soccer was always so much fun: practice during the week, games on the weekends, sometimes weekend long tournaments. I looooved soccer weekends! After games, the mom’s rotated bringing snacks and we’d always have orange slices, capri suns or gatorade, and so often we’d have RICE KRISPIE TREATS! These were always the best – and I’m not talking the store bought kind. I’m talking the mom melted the marshmallows and added the rice krispies, cut them out into little squares – real, homemade rice krispie treats. Does anyone else remember this?!
With three out of four kids in soccer at the same time, my mom would make these so often during soccer season. As I stood over the stove with my little ones watching the marshmallows slowly melt and taking in that sweet sticky smell, I couldn’t help but feel nostalgic for those old days.
However, these rice krispie treats took a different turn as we used a heart cookie cutter to punch out hearts – for valentine’s day, of course. You welcome :
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 10oz bag of marshmallows
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies
- 8 oz white chocolate
- your choice of sprinkles!
Rice Krispie Treats:
- In a pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add milk and marshmallows. Allow the marshmallows to melt over low heat. You don’t want the pan to get too hot, because you don’t want burnt marshmallows! Let them melt slow and easy.
- While they melt, prepare a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper along the bottom.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and mix in the rice krispies.
- Pour the marshmallow/rice krispie mix into the prepared baking dish and spread out in an even layer.
- Put them into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool and set.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out “hearts” from the rice krispie treats – much like you would do when making sugar cookies!
- If you don’t have a double boiler, put a little water in a pot and place a heat proof bowl on top of it. Bring the water to a simmer, and add the white chocolate. Allow to melt.
- Once melted, remove the bowl from the heat.
- With the help of a spoon pour white chocolate over the rice krispie treats however you like, and finish off with some sprinkles!